Explore the Root River Bike Trail Near Lanesboro Mn
When was the last time you road along the Root River Bike Trail near Lanesboro Mn? If you haven’t been to Minnesota’s bluff country in a while, this fall is the perfect opportunity to visit. Southeastern Minnesota, commonly called bluff country, is known for its scenic natural beauty. The small towns of bluff country are a quaint and welcoming community and exemplify the best of “Minnesota Nice.” Though there are many wonderful towns along the Root River Bike Trail, our favorite is Lanesboro. Lanesboro Mn is known not just for being Minnesota’s Bed and Breakfast capital, but for its historic downtown and dedication to the arts. It’s the perfect place to land if you’re looking for a few peaceful days. Book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast today, and take the time to explore our section of the Root River State Trail this fall.
10 Things to do Along the Root River Bike Trail
The Root River Bike Trail, which runs right through Lanesboro, has been voted one of the best bike trails in all of Minnesota. That’s saying quite a lot for a state known for its rugged outdoors and vast natural spaces! The Root River Bike Trail follows the abandoned tracks of a former railway. After extensive restoration, the 42-mile trail opened in 1986. The Root River Bike Trail begins in the town of Fountain, and from there passes through the communities of Lanesboro, Whalan, Peterson, Rushford, and Houston. This scenic bike trail also connects to the Harmony-Preston Valley state bike trail system, which offers another 18 miles of paved trail to explore.
Whether you travel the trail all at once or enjoy it over multiple days, there are a number of things to do along the Root River Bike Trail. Here are 10 of our favorite things to do in the Root River Valley this fall:
- Visit the Niagara Cave, one of the Midwest’s largest limestone caverns. It’s located in Harmony and features a 60-foot waterfall. Inside the cave it’s a constant 48 degrees, so make sure you pack a sweatshirt or warm coat!
- Discover the regional specialties, such as rhubarb soap, homemade cereal, pies, jams, and jellies, lefse, krumkake, rosettes, and cashew crunch at the Lanesboro Farmers Market. It’s open every Saturday morning.
- Visit Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park, home to a beautifully resurrected pioneer town and Minnesota’s longest cave.
- Discover Norwegian heritage in the town of Petersen. Stop in at the Peterson Station Museum, which includes the original train depot and many of its original furnishings.
- Stop into a Lefse factory in Rushford. You can watch Lefse being made from scratch, but you can also warm up with a cup of coffee and grab a small bite to eat in their cafe.
- Check out the International Owl Center in Houston, and learn about these incredible animals.
- Hop off your bike for a bit and enjoy a tour through Amish Country. Visit working farms, buy beautiful crafted Amish products, and enjoy a glimpse into this unique society.
- View the sinkhole at the start of the trailhead in Fountain. Fountain is actually called the “Sink Hole Capital of the USA,” as there are more than 10,000 in the county. There’s a great place to view a large sinkhole just about a half-mile down the trail. There’s even a viewing platform.
- As a reward for all your hard work on the trail, enjoy a slice of pie in Whalan from Aroma Pie Shop.
- The Lanesboro Fish Hatchery has been closed for remodeling, but it is scheduled to open in November 2019. It’s Minnesota’s largest coldwater production hatchery and is open year-round.
The Best Lanesboro Mn Lodging
Whatever it is you choose to do while you’re exploring the Root River Bike Trail, you can count on the comfortable accommodations of our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast at the end of the day. There’s no place quite like the historic Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast in Lanesboro, Minnesota. Savor the pace of our historic town, and revel in our local character.
Lanesboro itself has a truly beautiful and walkable downtown. Many of the town’s restored buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places. We also house an incredible arts scene. You simply must take in an evening performance at the Commonweal Theatre while you’re here. The charm of Lanesboro, Mn is something we all need to experience at least once in our lifetimes, and this fall is a stunningly beautiful time to visit. Book a room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast toda