5 Reasons to Experience the Root River Trail in Lanesboro
Though there are a number of wonderful reasons to visit Lanesboro in southeastern Minnesota, the top attraction to the area is undoubtedly the Root River State Trail. The Root River State Trail travels for 42 incredible miles through the quaint and picturesque rural communities of southeastern Minnesota. This portion of Minnesota, commonly called “bluff country,” is aptly named after the sharpling rising bluffs that stand in stark contrast to the otherwise flat portions of the Midwest.
At the heart of your journey to the Root River State Trail should be a stay at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast. Lanesboro, known around Minnesota as the “Bed and Breakfast Capital,” is a peaceful and charming small town beloved by all who visit here. It’s an incredible destination for art lovers, outdoor enthusiasts, and those just looking to get away. Our historic Inn is happy to welcome you to this beautiful part of the state this summer. Book your room at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast today.
See the Best of the Root River Trail Near Lanesboro
This summer, you’re going to want a place to get away and relax. We can think of no better place than our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast and the Root River State Trail. The Root River State Trail, which travels between the communities of Fountain to Houston, is one of the most popular trails in Minnesota. The trail is situated on the banks of the scenic Root River, which is itself a wonderful place to relax on a warm summer’s day.
The Root River State Trail is a historic rails-to-trails project that lies where the former tracks of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad once stood. The railroad was abandoned in 1979, and the Root River State Trail officially opened a few years later in 1986, followed by the Harmony-Preston Valley Trail in 1996.
Beyond just being warm, welcoming, and beautiful, there are a number of other reasons to come experience the Root River Trail and the town of Lanesboro. Here are 5 of the best reasons to make your plans and to come visit us this summer:
- Biking the Root River State Trail is, no surprise, at the top of our list. If these 42 beautiful miles of biking trails aren’t enough for you, don’t worry. The Root River State Trail connects up with the Harmony Preston Valley State Trail, too, offering an additional 18 miles of paved biking trails to explore.
- On a warm summer’s day, few things beat taking a casual float, canoe, or kayak down the Root River. A trip down the Root River State Water Trail is one you won’t forget.
- Spend a relaxing day in nature and fish along the banks of the Root River.
- Visit the many attractions and rural communities that lie along the Root River State Trail. The trail towns include Fountain, Preston, Lanesboro, Whalan, Peterson, Rushford, Harmony, and Houston.
- Step off the trail for an afternoon and take a tour of Minnesota’s beautiful Amish Country. There are a number of guided and self-guided tours in the area, offering you the perfect opportunity to enjoy hand-crafted Amish goods.
Your welcome to bring your own bike or kayak to town if you prefer, but there are also outfitters that offer bike and kayak rentals, along with guided tours. Little River General Store is right here in downtown Lanesboro.
More to See in Downtown Lanesboro
While you’re in the area exploring the Root River State Trail, take advantage of the opportunity to experience downtown Lanesboro. Lanesboro is home to the award-winning Commonweal Theatre Company, a professional live-theatre entering its 30th season. There are also some wonderful restaurants in downtown Lanesboro and a veritable treasure-trove of art galleries and shops worth visiting.
Also nearby is Mystery Cave/Forestville State Park, where you can take a guided tour of Minnesota’s Longest Known Cave. Other popular attractions in the area include the Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center, the International Owl Center, and Niagara Cave, just to name a few.
Lodging Near the Root River Trail
At the heart of any great getaway is a wonderful and welcoming place to stay. That’s exactly what you’ll find at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast, where your comfort is our top priority. We pride ourselves on offering the best accommodations in Minnesota’s B&B capital, which starts with a scrumptious made from scratch breakfast every morning of your stay.
Each guest that stays with us also receives discount tickets and reserved seats at the incredible Commonweal Theatre, along with a host of other amenities you just don’t find at traditional hotels and motels. This summer, come explore the beautiful Root River State Trail, and make time to stay at our quaint Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast.