Biking Season on the Root River Trail Begins Soon
When we think of southern Minnesota, two things come to mind: The quaint, charming town of Lanesboro and the famed Root River Trail. Though we can think of plenty of reasons to leave your stress behind and spend some time at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast, it’ the Root River Trail that brings such wide-ranging visitors to the town each year.
The Root River Trail is one of the many great bike trails that criss-cross Minnesota. It’s 42 miles long and travels through the picturesque rural communities of southeastern Minnesota before connecting with other trails in the area extended miles of cycling and walking. As you travel along the Root River Trail, marvel at the dramatically rising bluffs that give this part of the state its Moniker, Bluff Country, and get to know the small communities that make up this region.
However many miles you journey on the Root River Trail, know the comfortable accommodations of our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast will be waiting for you at the end of the day. Though it’s true that Lanesboro is known as the “Bed and Breakfast Capital of Minnesota,” there’s none that compare to the luxurious comfort offered by the Habberstad House. Book your room at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast today.
Enjoy Biking the Root River Trail Near Lanesboro in 2022
The peak time to enjoy the Root River Trail and all Lanesboro offers is in the summer, but the trail provides four seasons of exercise potential. Cross country skiers and snowshoers take full advantage of the trail in the winter, but by spring, avid cyclists, walkers, and runners are back out on the Root River Trail, enjoying it to its fullest.
The Root River Trail is a relatively flat, paved trail that connects the communities of Fountain and Houston and follows along the banks of the scenic Root River. As you move from one end to the other, you’ll also pass through Preston, Lanesboro, Whalen, Peterson, and Rushford. Don’t just pass through these communities, though! They are just as charming and wonderful to explore as our town of Lanesboro.
The Root River Trail is a historic rails-to-trails project that lies where the former tracks of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific Railroad and is one of the most popular biking trails in Minnesota. The Root River Trail opened for public use in 1986, and soon after, the Harmony-Preston trail was completed, offering a combined 60+ miles of cycling opportunities near Lanesboro.
Though cycling and walking the Root River Trail are the most popular means of exploring this area, it’s not the only way to experience Minnesota’s bluff country! You can also paddle or float down the Root River State Water Trail. Talk about an unforgettable way to spend a warm summer’s day!
You are welcome to bring your bike or kayak to town to explore the Root River Trail, but some outfitters offer rentals and guided tours. Little River General Store is right here in downtown Lanesboro.
Exploring Lanesboro, Beyond the Trail
Though the Root River Trail is one of the area’s top attractions, there are plenty more things to do in Lanesboro.
- Step off the trail for an afternoon and take a tour of Minnesota’s beautiful Amish Country. Several guided and self-guided tours in the area, offering you the perfect opportunity to enjoy hand-crafted Amish goods.
- A stroll through downtown is one of the best things to do in Lanesboro, MN. Many locally owned and run shops to stop in, including The Peddler, Windy Mesa, and Amish Experience. You are sure to see something unique take home.
- Visit Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center. They offer over 9 miles of trails with great opportunities for birding, hiking, mountain biking, and scenic overlooks of the area. They even open up their high ropes course to the public in the summer.
- This summer, one of the classic things to do in Lanesboro, MN, is to stop by Another Time Ice Cream Parlor for a refreshing cold snack. They feature 30 Bridgeman’s ice cream flavors and Caribou Coffee and espresso bar.
- Take in a performance at the famed Commonweal Theater, one of the best theater companies in the Midwest.
- Over in Houston, MN, you’ll want to see the International Owl Center.
- Enjoy a round of golf at the Lanesboro Golf Club.
- Get to know Lanesboro even more with a visit to the Lanesboro Historical Museum.
Best Place to Stay in Lanesboro
The Root River Trail may be what gets you in the door at our Lanesboro Bed and Breakfast, but our welcoming hospitality and luxury accommodations will be what keep you here. After all, any great getaway deserves the best accommodations, and that’s exactly what you’ll find at The Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast in Lanesboro, MN.
Your comfort is our #1 priority, and we pride ourselves on our exquisite attention to detail. You’ll notice what sets us apart as one of the best places to stay in Lanesboro the moment you first arrive at our Inn. We offer five uniquely appointed guest rooms, each outfitted with a range of luxury amenities.
Each morning of your stay, start the day off right with a delicious breakfast made from scratch right here in our kitchen.
As if that’s not enough, each guest that stays with us also receives discount tickets and reserved seats at the incredible Commonweal Theatre, along with a host of other amenities you won’t find at traditional hotels and motels. This summer, explore the beautiful Root River State Trail and stay at the best place to stay in Lanesboro, The Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast.