Unique Things to do in Minnesota Near Our Bed and Breakfast
There are many unique things to do in Minnesota that are sure to be unforgettable experiences while visiting this one-of-a-kind area! Lanesboro includes interesting geological history, natural attractions for the outdoor enthusiast as well as a thriving arts community. This area has much to offer those who are looking for the not so usual things to do on vacation. The quaint, charming, and historic town of Lanesboro lies in the heart of what is known as “Bluff Country” in the Root River Valley. This place is considered a hidden gem of Southeastern Minnesota and you’ll find out why when you come to experience it for yourself!
While you are visiting this unique area, let our Minnesota bed and breakfast be the perfect accommodations for your best vacation! We offer 5 private guest rooms that you can retreat to at the end of a day of exploration. Our historic bed and breakfast were originally built in 1897 and many of the architectural details, such as the carved oak mantle on the fireplace, and the 8-foot tall pocket doors, have remained intact and have been beautifully restored.
The cozy and comfortable ambiance of our Lanesboro lodging will have you feeling like this is your elegant home away from home. If you are looking for the ideal place to stay while you visit this unique corner of Minnesota, book your room today!
Unique Things to do in Minnesota
Lanesboro, Minnesota, and the surrounding area offer a multitude of experiences encompassing nature, art, history, culture, and more! It’s not hard to find fun and unusual things to do here. The combination of the location in Bluff Country and the thriving arts community make this destination an unforgettable vacation you won’t soon forget. The unique things to do in Minnesota near our bed and breakfast is a varied list that ranges from biking along the Root River State trail to seeing Amish communities, to getting educated about owls.
While checking out the shops and restaurants in historic Lanesboro is a lovely way to spend your time here, we encourage you to get out and explore off the beaten path a bit for great memories of this place. You won’t regret it! Here are our 8 favorite unique things to do in Minnesota near our bed and breakfast.
- A must-see when visiting Lanesboro is the Root River State Trail. This 60-mile trail that runs east-west is one of the top reasons why people come to this area. Along with Lanesboro, the trail runs through nearby quaint and eclectic towns each with its own style and personality. On this multi-use trail you can cross-country ski and snowshoe in the winter, enjoy bicycling and walking in the warmer months, and look up into the trees for some birdwatching.
- The Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center is a non-profit and year-round environmental learning center dedicated to helping people find connections to nature and cultivating a deeper understanding of the natural world. While it is set up as a facility for groups and visiting schools, they have over 9 miles of public hiking trails for your enjoyment.
- How about going for a hike but on the water! The Root River Water Trail is a great way to see the scenic river from a canoe or kayak. You’ll paddle through floodplain forests and past towering bluffs on the gently flowing water. This is definitely one of the more unique things to do in Minnesota. Root River Outfitters provides kayak and canoe rentals. Here you can also set up a shuttle service with them so you can go out on a trip and paddle right back to your car.
- A visit to the International Owl Center is one of the unique things to do in Minnesota. Located in Houston, MN, this hands-on, interactive learning facility will have you meeting these live nocturnal raptors up close and personal. You’ll feel the touch of an owl’s feather, identify the sounds owls make, and view owl art from around the world.
- The Root River and its numerous tributaries flow through the Driftless Region and contain ideal habitat for wild trout. There are many opportunities for fly fishing in this not-so-well-known area. You can find local companies that offer guided fishing trips like the Root River Rod Co. and Driftless Fly Fishing Company.
- Another one of the more unique things to do in Minnesota is to visit the Niagara Cave. This attraction located in Harmony, MN is rated as one of the top ten caves in the nation. At this geological spectacle, there is a 60 ft subterranean waterfall, 100 ft high ceilings, fossils, and limestone rock formations. You can also mine for real gemstones and fossils for yourself. They are currently offering private tours by appointment only.
- Learn about another culture and way of life by taking a tour into scenic Amish country. At Bluffscape Amish Tours you’ll stop in at farms and shops to purchase goods made by the Amish community, and learn about the history of this interesting lifestyle. The Amish Backroads Tour is narrated audio tour that will guide you to farms, shops, and other points of interest.
- A visit to the National Trout Center in Preston, MN is both educational and fun! In the cold water aquarium, you can observe trout and other aquatic life that live in local rivers and streams. You learn about the on-of-a-kind Driftless Area with its geological wonders.
The Perfect Lodging in Bluff Country
After a day of exploring all the unique things to do in Minnesota near our Lanesboro bed and breakfast, you’ll need a cozy, quiet, and comfortable place to come back to. Our Minnesota inn provides ideal accommodations for your vacation here. At our historic lodging, we offer elegant and casual guest rooms to make you feel right at home and relaxed.
Each room is uniquely and beautifully decorated with many antique furnishings, each with its own special amenities and touches. Choose the room that will suit your needs for the best vacation to Bluff Country. You’ll enjoy a great home-cooked 2-course breakfast every morning thoughtfully served, often with locally grown or purchased ingredients. It’s a perfect way to get your day started! If you are looking for the ultimate place to stay while visiting this fascinating area, and want to seek out some of the unique things to do in Minnesota, book your room today!