2 Seaview Avenue Newport, RI 02840

History of the Inn

The Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast in this beautiful Queen Anne Victorian is entering its 20th season in 2016. The bed and breakfast is named for the first owners of the home, Olaf and Celia Habberstad.

Olaf M. Habberstad was born in Eidsvold, Norway in 1866. He immigrated to the United States and settled in the Lanesboro area with his family when he was four years old. He married Celia Knutson on Sept. 4, 1889. After serving as a postal clerk for several years, he and Celia opened a grocery story and restaurant in Lanesboro.

In the late 19th century, Olaf and Michael Scanlon formed a partnership and formed the Scanlon-Habberstad Bank. Their building, in downtown Lanesboro, still houses the local bank.

In 1897, Olaf and Celia Habberstad built their home, located at 706 Fillmore Ave. S. They raised their six children in the home and resided here until their deaths.

Since then, the home has served as a private residence, a hospital, a nursing home, and a boarding house until becoming a bed and breakfast.

The home has been completely renovated to meet the needs of the 21st century. The main floor has retained all of its original oak woodwork and remains in beautiful condition. Dark, tooled faux leather lines the walls in the foyer and main stairway. Eight-foot tall pocket doors, with their original hardware and in perfect working condition, separate the front parlor, sitting and dining rooms. A beautiful built-in oak hutch and carved oak mantled fireplace in the sitting room are highlights. The house is decorated with antiques that complement the period and architecture of the home.

Graceful latticed moon gates surround the porches on both the first and second floors. The large beautifully landscaped yard and quiet neighborhood provide a perfect place for rest and relaxation.

In 2001, an addition on the house and a new Carriage House were built. The addition provides additional space for the innkeepers, as well as the Scandinavian Suite on the second floor. The Carriage House’s upper level provides for a quiet, private retreat.

The Habberstad House was started as a Bed and Breakfast by Nancy Martinson of Lanesboro. She purchased the home in 1996, and opened for business in 1997. She oversaw many of the infrastructure (such as plumbing and electrical) improvements and installed additional bathrooms in the home. In 2001, Dave and Nancy Huisenga took over the property and completed the additions. In 2015, Elaine and Mark Edwards purchased the bed and breakfast.

Scroll to top

We Have Closed

The Habberstad House Bed and Breakfast is no longer taking reservations due to the sale of the inn. Thank you so much for your interest and support of this bed and breakfast over the past 25 years. We have loved serving our guests.

Please check out Lanesboro.com for other area accommodations.